Here is a step-by-step guide on how to drape a saree:
- Start by wearing a fitted blouse and petticoat that match the saree.
- Tuck the plain end of the saree into the petticoat at the center of the waist and bring it around to the right side, making sure the saree is at floor level.
- Start making pleats of about 5-6 inches at the top of the saree and tuck them into the waistband, ensuring that they are even in size.
- Once you have pleated the saree, continue tucking it into the waistband until you reach the back.
- Drape the remaining fabric of the saree over your left shoulder, taking care to adjust the length of the saree to your desired height.
- Secure the saree to your blouse using safety pins at the shoulders and at the waist.
- Now, take the border of the saree, which is draped over your left shoulder, and pleat it neatly. Nayana Elza’s Traditional Sareeing in Kanchipuram Saree
- Tuck the pleats into the waistband at the back.
- Finally, adjust the pleats and the length of the saree to ensure that it looks even and neat.
- Complete the look with appropriate accessories such as bangles, earrings, necklaces, and footwear.
Remember, the process of draping a saree may differ depending on the style and fabric of the saree. It may take some practice to get it right, but with some patience and perseverance, you can master the art of draping a saree.