On Monday, Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant urged the weavers and people to bring the ‘Kunbi’ saree in fashion to increase its value. Our country is known to be one of the most diverse places of the world, with its mesmerizing cultures and the unity among them all. These cultures have their own distinctive traits that also extend to having unique clothing. Even the smallest state of India, Goa, has a beautiful culture beyond the sun and sands. The Kunbi saree is a traditional handloom saree from the Indian state of Goa. The saree is typically made from cotton or silk and is known for its simple yet elegant designs. The saree is characterized by its plain body and border with intricate designs. The traditional Kunbi saree is typically white or off-white in color, with a red or maroon border. The border is adorned with intricate zari or embroidery work. The saree is worn by the Kunbi community, which is a farming community in Goa, India. The saree is known for its simplicity and elegance, making it a popular choice for daily wear.
There are several types of Kunbi sarees:
- The traditional Kunbi saree: This is the most basic and common type of Kunbi saree. It is typically made from cotton or silk and is characterized by its plain body and border with intricate designs. The saree is usually white or off-white in color with a red or maroon border.
- The printed Kunbi saree: This type of saree features traditional motifs or patterns that are printed on the fabric. The saree is usually made from cotton and features a variety of colors and designs.
- The embroidered Kunbi saree: This type of saree features intricate embroidery work on the border and sometimes on the body of the saree. The embroidery work can be done using thread, beads, or zari.
- The silk Kunbi saree: This type of saree is made from silk and is characterized by its soft and luxurious feel. The saree can feature traditional designs or modern patterns and is often adorned with intricate zari or embroidery work.
- The cotton-silk Kunbi saree: This type of saree is a blend of cotton and silk and is known for its comfort and durability. It is characterized by its lightweight feel and traditional designs.
- The zari Kunbi saree: this type of saree is characterized by the zari work or zari border, gold or silver thread work on the border, and pallu of the saree, it gives the saree a rich and elegant look.
It’s worth noting that these are not definitive types, and there may be variations and combinations of these different styles depending on the specific saree.
To purchase Kunbi Sarees :
- Bombay Bazar in Goa.
Sareeing, Saree Stories, History of Kunbi Sarees, Pramod Sawant, Goa Sarees