There are several factors to consider when identifying the quality of a Banarasi silk saree:
- Fabric: Quality Banarasi silk sarees are made from pure silk, and the texture should be smooth and silky to the touch.
- Zari work: Banarasi silk sarees are known for their intricate zari work, which is made from gold or silver thread. The zari work should be fine, even, and consistent, with no loose threads or missing details.
- Design: The design on a Banarasi silk saree should be intricate and detailed, with a variety of motifs and patterns. The design should also be symmetrical, with no errors or inconsistencies.
- Color: The colors on a Banarasi silk saree should be bright and vibrant, without any fading or discoloration.
- Weight: A high-quality Banarasi silk saree should be relatively heavy, due to the thickness of the silk and the amount of zari work.
- Dye: Quality Banarasi silk sarees should be dyed using natural dyes. The dye should not fade or run when washed or exposed to light.
It’s also always recommended to buy from a reputable seller, to avoid getting a low-quality saree.
It’s important to note that the price of a Banarasi silk saree can also be an indicator of its quality, as high-quality sarees will typically be more expensive than lower-quality ones.